Sunday, February 11, 2007

Catching up

Life seemed to get away from me lately. Here is a quick summary.

Regarding exercise:
I have been going to the gym after work (plan 2) and it has been pretty successful. I went 3x the first week, 2x + Sunday this last week. I do have less time and perhaps that is why I have felt more rushed than usual. But on the positive side, I feel less stressed after I get home.

Regarding culture:
Last Sunday (2/4) we went to see The Painted Veil. It is a beautiful film and a touching love story. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. Go see it if you have a chance.

On Friday night (2/9) we went to the opera! We saw Eugene Onegin. It was our first time at the Met and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Regarding my life:
I was feeling really drained yesterday, partially due to a busy week at work, partially due to the late night Friday and maybe due to just being tired, in general. As a consequence, I wasn't productive and now I am not happy with myself. I caught up on a lot today and did go to the gym but I feel like everything happens so fast, I don't have time to process it. I don't have time to discuss things with my friends or family. I have all these micro imaginary conversations with people. I make plans that I never carry out. I have ideas that zoom around in my head until they fade away. I think writing about things here might help so I have taken time to create this entry. There is a discussion thread on one of my class forums about blogging and whether it is an ego-centric thing to do. I guess if the point is to get famous and have thousands of readers, one could conclude that. Why do people write diaries or journals? Why do people tell each other stories? I think it is partly to reflect on what has happened, to put some perspective on one's life. Maybe I write all this to slow my life down, to preserve a tiny bit of it before it is washed away in the stream of minutes and hours, duties and deadlines. Maybe as you read this, you will help me see myself as a person rather than a jumble of events and plans.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Funny you should mention that life is getting away from you...I have just begun re-reading Thich Nhat Hahn's Miracle of Mindfulness, and am reminded that following your breath is the way to cultivate mindfulness at any and every minute in your day, and to LIVE the moments and experiences in your day. Good luck. I know it can be done, and am determined to do it one day. Kisses, Hol.